Back to homepage

Monday, January 28, 2008

Settling in

Such a bad blogger I have been! But in my defense, we've been on a Minimoon and I also had a recurrence of the Plague of Death that attacked me on the wedding day and again in the second week of January.

Our wedding day was beautiful --even though we forgot to pick up my bouquet and his boutonnière-- Doh! (Here's us at the florist, picking them up wayyy after the ceremony)

The ceremony was performed by our good friend Elise in a big white, beautifully decorated tent in the back yard, and both our families and best friends had flown in from Chicago, San Diego and The Netherlands. Everybody stayed for Xmas and they all had a turkey dinner feast on Xmas Eve. (While I was watching crappy TV in bed; I was too sick to knit.)

I still can't believe we planned the whole thing is less than a month and it turned out so great. The dress was great, he looked incredible, the pieces of Xmas tree that we picked up by the side of the road were perfect for decorations, which my mom and her elves put together:

All in all, an absolutely kick-ass low-key wedding!

NYE was spent in Denver, where we saw three rockin' YMSB shows in a row. I was behind the wheel for most of the way up there and we drove through some spectacular winter scenery:

We trucked to Vail, CO on New Year's Day and spent a few days in the snow with the in-laws. I took a two-day skiing class and actually made it down the Green slopes. Whodathunkit?

Now we're settling into married life. I still can't work here in the US, but we're getting the immigration stuff together. I just had my medical exam this morning!
A blood test for HIV and Syphilis -sheesh-, a skin test for Tuberculosis and a nice double barreled gun for Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Tetanus:

Oh the things we do for love! (Or for the big rock on the end of that hand, hee hee ;)

As for knitting, I'm back baybee! I found a great SnB here in the next town over, and now they're also starting one in another neighboring town. It's great meeting new people and getting out of the house!
I've been experimenting with Fair-Isle/stranded knitting, and even put in my first short-row heel. I'm spending wayyyy too much time on Ravelry, but it gives me so much inspiration that I've got enough in my queue to last me a lifetime!
(And check out the cool progress bars in my sidebar.)

Last Friday I received my first-ever Rockin' Sock Club package and I actually almost made it to the heel of the first one. It's a lace pattern that makes the red, pink and brown yarn spiral around beatifully. Pics soon..
It's an absolute blast to work with the Blue Moon Fiber Arts lightweight; it's soft, fluffy and knits up really neatly. Love the Serendipity pattern too, but I do notice I need to do a lot of tinking with lace patterns. Had that problem with the Monkey too. I don't really "speak" lace yet, if that makes sense. I don't memorize the pattern quickly, nor do I intuitively feel what's next. Oh well, 2008 has only just begun. This will be my year of new knitting frontiers and finished projects!

Ok, now I'm back to convincing Dave I should go to Sock Camp. Cat Bordhi, Cookie A. AND the Harlot are coming and I just. really. need. to go.
I've been calling it "Pony Camp" all week, and it's driving him bonkers.
Yay, married life! :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Tijm said...

He Famke,
Wat fijn dat we nu zo even hebben kunnen meegenieten van je bruiloft en huwelijksreis!
Je straalt zo mooi!
Leuk dat je meer een SnB groep gevonden hebt en dat je je breien meer op gaat pakken.
Jammer dat ik je nu niet meer tegen kan komen in Nederland, vond die eerste keer zo bijzonder, zo opeens een klik met iemand die ik niet ken maar zo vertrouwd voel.Heel veel geluk verder als getrouwde vrouw en hou ons AUB op de hoogte!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 6:31:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Sandra said...

wow, so many tests! You are brave one!
And, enjoy merried life!

Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 10:14:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Rebel said...

Hey! Congratulations! =)

zuma/rebel

Thursday, February 7, 2008 at 6:54:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey girl - Love the pics!!! I am definitely coming this Wed as long as I am not sick LOL (Ashwin is all snotty right now and not sleeping well!)

See you soon!

Tara

Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 11:56:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Ev said...

Beautiful wedding picture! Welcome to North America! It looks and sounds like the transition is going well.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 6:49:00 PM GMT+1  

Add a stitch to my blog

<< Home