Back to homepage

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Homegirl got a home!

I got it!!!!! Signed the contract and picked up my keys this afternoon!
As of today, I'm the proud renter of a four-room apartment in the absolute worst frakkin' part of town. But it's mine! (Ok, and the social housing association's...)
I'm going over there with dear papa tomorrow to measure the rooms and find carpeting, laminate flooring etc. And the good part: wall paint. (I had the color schemes figured out before I even knew I had the place. A girl can dream, you know.)

In knitting news: lots of public transport equals lots of quality knitting time. I managed to squeeze in a couple more lace repeats on the new sock, which is of course Monkey! (Nobody guessed, what's up with that?!)
First I didn't like the purling bits -lots of rows start and end with a bunch of purl stitches- but I'm getting the hang of it. The yarn also feels softer now that I've tried to knit more relaxed, a little looser. I'm doing it on my 2mms, where perhaps a 2.5 mm should have done the trick. We'll see. I'll bravely keep on keeping on.

Has anybody else done this sock? Did it bump and curl up the way mine does? Plus the most important question: will it block the hell out?!

And finally, I signed up for the Knittyboard's Secret Pal 8 and Sock Exchange and I'm really looking forward to those. One (whole!) pair of adult socks finished by February 28th! Waaahhhhh!!!
Nah kidding, should be doable if I'm on a deadline. And otherwise I'll just pull a midnight knitting session channeling Stariel and crying my eyes out for being such a procrastinator. Good times.

I'd originally wanted to sign up, and even had a reservation for the Rockin' Sock Club - Oh Blue Moon Fiber Arts, how I love thee and thine hippie yarns of Paradise - but that is really outside of my budget this year. Maybe in 2008.

Maybe I'll post pics of my house tomorrow. For now I'll go dream of color schemes and having my cat back in his natural habitat; on my lap. (How I miss my little kittycat who's still in the US having a blast. How shall I break the news to him about apartment living?)

8 Comments:

Blogger Carry said...

Yaaaaaay!!! I haven't done the monkey sock myself...

But congrats on the new place...anxiously awaiting the pix! :) We need those before and after shots ya' know

Friday, January 5, 2007 at 12:56:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Tijm said...

Ha Famke,

Van Harte Gefeliciteerd met je woning!
Ik ben erg blij voor je dat je zo'n groot huis mag gaan betrekken!!
En ik sluit me aan bij de vorige steek: voor en na foto's graag!!!

Ben zelf op het moment te druk met de clapotis om met de Monkey te beginnen maar hij stond al wel op mijn verlanglijst.

Jou jaar kan nu al niet meer stuk!!!

Friday, January 5, 2007 at 7:01:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Unknown said...

Joepie! And after you finished your whole house (in the way YOU like it, jippie!), it will be spring! Best season for new houseowners!
And did you read about Socktopia, I'm in, and hope that it will be fun (and win prices, heehehe)

Friday, January 5, 2007 at 11:30:00 AM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Famke, Congrats with your new place! I've just moved to my own nieuwbouwwoning and have my own knitting room. So relaxing... Saw your post on the Knittyboard. Great to hear another Dutchy joining the gang! Greatings Jenneke

Friday, January 5, 2007 at 11:38:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Rineke said...

gefeliciteerd met je woning! Lekker veel ruimte voor garen, lijkt me zo...

Sunday, January 7, 2007 at 1:46:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the apartment!
I haven't knitted the Monkey pattern but I'm thinking og trying it with some Lorna's Laces I got today! yay! :-)
btw, you're right about my identity ;-)

have a nice day
Petra aka Nornan

Monday, January 8, 2007 at 3:04:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

En hoe is je baan ueberhaupt?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 10:19:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Unknown said...

Helemaal goed! Van harte gefeliciteerd!

En wat de monkeys betreft: veel succes, durf er nog even niet aan te beginnen vanwege diverse wips en een second sock syndrome om u tegen te zeggen...

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 11:29:00 PM GMT+1  

Add a stitch to my blog

<< Home