Back to homepage

Saturday, September 18, 2004

November

Yes yes, I know it's only September, but I thought it would be fun start a little thread on the things we could do when you're here. I came up with a few things:

We will absolutely visit the Dom and climb the Dom Tower; it's Utrecht's main attraction and has been for the last 750 years. Uhuh, seven hundred and fifty years, and this year is a big anniversary celebration year, with all kinds of activities. Unfortunately, you already missed the spectacular reconstruction of the nave of the church, where the section that once connected the church and the tower was rebuilt with scaffolding pipes. That basically means that the two parts of the church were reunited for the first time since 1674, when they were separated in a storm.

It will probably be too cold for water sports, but there’s an ice-skating rink. It opens in early October, and since you’re almost Canadian, I trust you can skate. :)

I suppose you saw all the obvious things in 1990, like the Anne Frank House and the Rijksmuseum? If not, I’d love to visit them with you, since I must admit that I haven’t been to the Rijksmuseum yet, and don’t remember visiting Anne’s house...

Now, the most important question is: how attached are you to that traditional Thanksgiving turkey?